Impressed by a Norwegian book about skiing, Franz Reisch, later mayor of Kitzbühel, had the first pair of skis sent from the far north in 1892. The following year, Reisch experimented with his "snowshoes" of a remarkable 2.30 m on the Kitzbüheler Horn. As early as 1894 a major ski shipment arrived from Norway. So nothing stood in the way of the first Kitzbühel ski championship and the brilliant development of skiing. The world-famous Hahnenkamm race was held for the first time in 1931. Kitzbühel also produced exceptional talents. The Kitzbühel ski wonder team made history with names such as Toni Sailer, Anderl Molterer, Ernst Hinterseer, Hias Leitner, Fritz Huber and Christian Pravda and not only made skiing popular all over the world, but also made a significant contribution to Kitzbühel becoming world famous. Even today, the worldwide popularity of these ski legends influences the fascination with the sports city of Kitzbühel.
The tricable gondola lift built in 2004 connects the Hahnenkamm / Pengelstein and Jochberg / Resterhöhe ski areas with each other via a cable car. The journey, the spectacular ground clearance of up to 400 meters above the Saukasergraben and the enormous span (from column to column around 2,500 meters) can be closely observed through a glass floor in a gondola.
Not to be forgotten are the countless routes for ski tours, which are easy to very difficult to master.
* Spertental - Brechhorn, Schwarzkogel
* Wildschönau - Breiteggern (Gern), Feldalphorn, Großer Beil, Lämpersberg, Schwaigberghorn, Sonnenjoch (Sonnjoch)
* Jochbergtal - Gaisberg, Kuhkaser, Rauber
* Inneralpach - Großer Galtenberg, Joel, Schatzberg
* Pillerseetal - Karstein, Platte, Wallerberg
* Alpbach Valley - Little Galtenberg
* Kelchsau - Lodron
* Gerlostal - Ronach vulture
* Windautal - Steinberg
For snowboard fans, the Kitzbüheler Horn has heavenly powder runs in the Boarders Paradise. Off the groomed slopes you can find e.g. at the Eggllift deep snow runs, which are a pleasure especially for snowboarders. There is also a boarder cross route at the Brunellenfeld lift. At the Kitzbüheler Horn there is also a half pipe, 4-person kicker line, rails, boxes, QParkour (fun cross with steep curves, waves and small snow park elements, ideal for relaxed jibing and creative mini shred lines) and a separate area with wooden obstacles.
The Kitzbühel ski area:
* 170 km of groomed runs (= 450 ha of groomed runs)
* 69 km light / blue (= 22 runs)
* 77 km medium / red (= 25 runs)
* 24 km difficult / black (= 13 runs)
* 32 km of ski routes (= 11 runs - signposted but not prepared)
* Countless variants and "off-piste" routes
* 57 cable cars and lifts, transport capacity: 96,920 people. per hour
* 11 cable cars
* 28 chair lifts
* 7 drag lifts
* 8 conveyor belts
* 30 well-trained employees of the piste rescue service are always on standby
* 320 hectares of snow-covered skiing areas, slopes with snow-making facilities: Kitzbühel 29 km, Resterhöhe / Jochberg 44 km, Kirchberg 26 km
* 1116 snow guns (snow cannons)
* 8 reservoirs with a total capacity of approx. 554,700 m3 (Seidlalm I, Seidlalm II, Ehrenbachhöhe, Pengelstein, Usterkar, Resterkogel, Wagstätt, Gaisberg)
* 31 modern snow groomers ensure the best slope quality